Minutes for meeting held on 26 May 2016

Singleton Parish Council
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Village Hall, Singleton
on 26 May 2016 at 7.15 pm

Present: – Cllrs Gallagher (new Chair), Smith (new Vice Chair), Bailey, Chew and Lee, and the Parish Clerk, Verena Henderson, who took the Minutes. One member of the public also attended.
1. Apologies – none

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting and any Matters Arising

The Minutes of the previous meeting held on 28 April 2016, having been previously circulated, were agreed as a true and correct record and duly signed by the Chair.

Matters arising

Cllr Chew had continued with her work with Cllr Singleton of Staining Parish Council on flooding issues, and had sent out a letter and questionnaire to farmers and landowners affected. The questionnaire covered questions such as how many acres had been flooded and what, if any, crops it had spoiled. The next meeting will be held on 14 June at 7.30 pm at Singleton Village Hall.

3. Open Forum

Several points were raised, as follows:-

1. Who do we contact regarding street lighting not working at the top of Lodge Lane? This comes under Highways England who are also experiencing problems with the electricity supply in Thistleton following an accident.
2. The tactile paving at the corner of Lodge Lane is very overgrown and very difficult to get across for people with wheelchairs. This again comes under Highways England.
3. The footpath is in a terrible state along Lodge Lane from Singleton traffic lights to Barnfield. The tarmac is desperately in need of replacing. This comes under Lancashire County Council and the Clerk was asked to contact County Cllr Paul Hayhurst to ask for his help in this regard.
4. Proposed changes to the A585: The surveying of people’s properties is still taking place and many more still need to be done. The Parish Council has not been consulted about the proposals but has been informed that 3 options are being considered. Cllr Chew is to attend a meeting concerning these in July and will be reporting back to the Parish Council after that meeting.

The Clerk was asked to invite Mark Menzies MP to meet with the Parish Council to discuss the A585.

4. Declaration of Interests – Cllr Bailey in connection with 2 planning matters concerning St. Anne’s Church.
5. Planning Matters and Decisions

16/0274 – Larkfield, Lodge Lane, Singleton, FY6 8LT – Outline application for erection of one dwelling and garaging – No specific observations.

16/0331 – St Anne’s Church, Church Road, Singleton, FY6 8LN – Erection of single storey rear extension and new access ramp to front.
16/0326 – As above but also applying for this as a Listed Building – Much discussion took place about this. It was generally felt that an extension and improved facilities for the junior church was long overdue and this was welcomed. However, concern was expressed about putting the access ramp to the front of the church. This would come out for 10 feet and have railings, and still would not allow access over the step into Church, which would require using the present portable ramp also. It was felt that the beautiful archway at the front of this listed church needed to be protected. A vote was taken, without Cllr Bailey, and it was agreed to object to the ramp at this location because it was contrary to PPG15 – EP4 of planning policy and against advice NPPF, Chapter 12, paragraphs 126 – 129.

Planning Decisions

16/0171 – Land East of Mains Hall, Mains Lane, Singleton FY6 7LE – Formation of new access track off Mains Lane – Refused.

14/0652 – Whole of Singleton Village – Outline application for erection of 15 dwellings and 1 retail unit, provision of MUGA and playing field to rear of school, formation of village green etc. – Withdrawn by applicant.

6. Police and PACT Report

A Police report had been received covering crimes in the area from 01/04/16 – 29/04/16 which showed that 8 crimes had been committed in the parish. Of these, 4 were for driving off with fuel from petrol stations without paying, 1 theft from Windy Harbour caravan site, 1 domestic assault, 1 burglary on Lodge Lane and 1 on Shard Road.

The Clerk had reported the Parish Council’s concerns about speeding motorcyclists through the village at weekends to Inspector Susan Horn, who had undertaken to look into what resources were available to check on this in the coming weeks. Cllr Smith reported that these incidents are getting considerably worse and last weekend they were racing along Mains Lane. The Clerk will contact Inspector Horn again.

7. Traffic Issues

Nothing to report other than a grass-cutting schedule has been received from Kier, who are responsible for the A585, which is now on file.

8. Correspondence

Email from Kirkham Town Council inviting the Chairman to their Civic Sunday celebrations. Unfortunately our Chairman will be away on holiday at this time and the Clerk will send his apologies.

9.
Lodge Lane Lay-By

An unknown car was spotted parked at the lay-by by a couple of councillors who were unable to guess as to how it had got there will the stones and bollards in place. The Police were alerted and the local PCSO went down there to have a look. The car has now gone but the Police have undertaken to keep an eye on the lay-by.

10.
Pool Brow Caravan Park

Concern expressed about the unauthorised removal of trees and hedging at the entrance to this caravan park. The 6/8 trees removed all had Tree Preservation Orders on them. The Planning Officer and the Tree Officer have now become involved and we await the outcome of their intervention.

11.
Report from PC representatives after meeting with Singleton Trust

A convivial meeting took place and the Parish Council looks forward to receiving the Minutes.

12. Accounts and Cheques to Pay

The annual return for the year ended 31 March 2016 had once again been audited by Mr Ray Cottam who had found all records of receipts and payments to be correct. The official report form was also agreed and this was signed by the Chairman. There will be a 30 working day period for the exercise of public rights, which commences on 13 June 2016 until 22 July 2016 when the annual return, together with the account books and records will be made available for members of the public to view them. Details of this will be put on the noticeboards and website.

Payments

• Singleton Gala Committee – Donation £100. Proposed Cllr Bailey, Seconded Cllr Gallagher. Agreed.
• Insurance annual premium – £703.27 – Proposed Cllr Gallagher, Seconded Cllr Smith. Agreed.
• T A Pawson – SPID – £60. Proposed Cllr Lee, Seconded Cllr Bailey. Agreed.
• Clerk, Salary plus expenses for April/May – £256.66. Proposed Cllr Chew, Seconded Cllr Smith. Agreed.
• Clerk – Reimbursement for “thank you” present for Duggie Goth – £35. Proposed Cllr Gallagher, Seconded Cllr Chew. Agreed.
• Great Eccleston Cricket Club – Thank you to auditor Ray Cottam – £50. Proposed Cllr Smith, Seconded Cllr Chew. Agreed.

13. Any Other Business

• Concern expressed about an unofficial entrance used onto Mains Lane when a vehicle was seen reversing from there during rush hour. This was deemed very dangerous and was the reason this entrance was refused full planning permission. The permission is for use “on occasions” but this seems to be being flouted.
• Newsletter – Could any items please be sent to Cllr Chew as soon as possible? A page is to be given over to County Cllr Paul Hayhurst and Cllr Chew is looking into changing the format slightly, which may mean a small rise in cost. This was agreed.
• The 3 tubs which had been damaged during the roadworks have now been replaced by the contractor. The roadworks have now finished in that area and Cllr Chew will contact Shaun Thornton for him to give a date to start working on the new flagging and putting up the repaired noticeboard.
• Singleton Trust has again raised the question about the village having a Lengthsman. We have discussed this matter before and the fact that we need to look after the parish as a whole, not just the village. If the Trust were willing to help fund a contractor to litter-pick in the village, the Parish Council would look favourably at hiring a contractor to litter-pick in the rest of the parish.
• Cllr Chew raised the question of looking at Pool Foot Lane becoming a “Quiet Lane”. This wouldn’t restrict traffic but would stop wagons going down there. She will look into this and report back to the next meeting. In the meantime, Cllr Gallagher will mention this to a few local residents to see what they think of the idea.
• The direction sign at the end of Lodge Lane, at Singleton Cross Roads, has been damaged by a wagon and is now loose and a danger to pedestrians. The Clerk was asked to report this to County Cllr Paul Hayhurst.

14. Date and Time of next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Thursday 23 June at the slightly earlier time of 7.00pm.

As there was no further business, the meeting closed at 8.50pm.

Signed …………………………………………… Dated ………………………………………

Verena Henderson
Clerk to the Parish Council
Tel: 01995 670455