SINGLETON councillors are concerned about the lesser police presence in the parish in the past few weeks due to the illness of one officer. But we did at least get a crime report in time for our last meeting, on Thursday 23rd September 2010. Crimes in August included:
- 3 burglaries: tools were stolen from a Mains Lane garage; various items and cash from a chalet; and a pub was broken into, with its interior vandalised.
- 1 incident of criminal damage, where a marble was thrown at a window of a house in Church Road and smashed it;
- 2 cases of husbands assaulting wives, with the husband arrested in one case;
- Signs stolen from a local business (the offenders caught);
- Rear number-plate stolen from a Transit van at Windy harbour.
We also heard that the PACT priorities for July had been speeding through Weeton during the rush-hours, and anti-social behaviour in the Lodge Lane layby. The next PACT meeting is at Elswick Village hall on Thursday, 7th October 2010, beginning at 7pm.
COMPLAINTS have been made to police about cars speeding late at night through the village. They are believed to be driven by youngsters racing around a square of roads with The Village as its base. Police have attended but as yet no offenders have been caught.
WE HAVE received delivery of the grit-bins to be placed outside the church, at the school, and at the top and bottom of Pool Foot Lane. The bins are lockable, and include shovels. We have also received the noticeboard destined for the top of Pool Foot Lane. Thankyou, Glasdon, for providing half of the bins and the noticeboard: the rest has been financed by the parish council.
MORE news from around the parish will be in the current edition of our newsletter, produced and published by Cllr Maxine Chew.
OUR next meetings are on Wednesday (note the change of day) 13th October 2010, and Thursday, 18th November 2010, both in the church vestry, as usual, and starting at 7.30pm, as usual. All are welcome. We’re also hosting a Parish Liaison meeting on Thursday, 25th November 2010, beginning at 7.15pm.