About us

SINGLETON PARISH COUNCIL was formed on 4th December 1894, with five councillors, when the population was 380. Now the population has grown to more than  900 people (in more than 400 households) we still have only five councillors – plus, of course, a clerk.

We’re ‘new’ in the sense that all but one of us became councillors in the May elections of 2007 or was co-opted following those elections. Fortunately we have strong links with the past through the previous council’s chairman, Maxine Chew.

The council serves the northernmost parish in Fylde Borough Council’s area – a parish which adjoins Fylde’s boundary with Wyre Borough Council.

RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL

Services and responsibilities of the Parish Council are as follows:-

. Grass-cutting for various parts of the parish
. Responsibility for the upkeep of the play area
. Insurance for play area
. Maintenance and repair to Village Hall car park, including tarmacking and stoning of car park
. Maintenance to hedges surrounding Village Hall car park
. Giving grants to local organisations such as Village Hall, Village Gala, Puzzlewood
. Funding for a Clerk to provide administration and accounting services to meet standards required of Audit Commission, including publishing annual statement of finances
. Provision of a quarterly newsletter to inform local residents
. Regular upkeep of website
. Giving considered views on local planning applications
. Holding monthly meetings to which local residents are welcomed. Notices of these meetings are put on 2 noticeboards in the village and also on the website
. Providing an open forum at all meetings for local residents to air their views/submit any questions