Singleton Parish Council

Minutes from Parish Council Meeting dated 14 October 2021

Singleton Parish Council               

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Village Hall, Singleton

on Thursday 14 October  2021 at 7.15 pm

Present: – Cllrs Gallagher (Chair), Bailey (Vice Chair), Cholmondeley, Ibbotson and Lee, and the Parish Clerk, Verena Henderson, who took the Minutes. Three members of the public also attended.

1.Apologies for Absence – County Councillor John Singleton  
1a.Election of Chairman and Vice-Chairman for 2021/2022   This matter had been postponed from the Annual Parish Meeting for one month due to an on-going situation which needed to be processed.  This matter was now proceeding with Fylde BC.   Cllr Bailey proposed that the new Chairman be Cllr Matthew Lee.  This was seconded by Cllr Gallagher and Agreed.   Cllr Gallagher proposed that Cllr Chris Bailey be Vice-Chair for a further year.  This was seconded by Cllr Ibbotson and Agreed.   Cllr Lee then took over the Chair for the rest of the meeting.  
2.Police Matters   The crime figures for September showed one recorded incidence of Anti-Social Behaviour and 1 case of Theft & Handling.   Information received about a new Divisional Commander to oversee policing in West Division – Chief Supt Karen Edwards.  A letter welcoming her to the division will be sent together with an invitation to attend a future Parish Council meeting.   The Police and Crime Commissioner had published the results of his recent survey aimed at informing the priorities in his new Police and Crime Plan.  These can be read on the Police’s website at   Cllr Bailey reported that there had been another case of overnight parking at Barnfield Manor.  This had been reported to the Police but nothing has been heard about this.  We will need to keep an eye on the situation.  
3.Minutes of Previous Meeting and any Matters Arising   The Minutes of the meeting held on 23 September 2021, having been previously circulated and agreed, were signed as a true and correct record by the retiring Chairman. There were no matters arising.    
4.Open Forum   Problems with the traffic lights at Singleton crossroads mentioned.  There are big problems coming from Poulton with long traffic tailbacks caused by only a small number of cars getting though at a time.  This is to be reported to Highways England.   The matter of the disappearing ponds was raised again.  There were two ponds at the side of Garstang Road before the work on the new bypass commenced.  One has completely disappeared and one is in the process of disappearing.  Kier are investigating this.  
5.Declaration of Interests   Cllr Gallagher declared an interest in planning application 21/0868 and took no part in that discussion.  
6.Planning Matters and Decisions   21/0868 – Newbrook, Old Mains Lane, Singleton FY6 7LA – Single storey side and rear extension.  The Parish Council had no specific observations to make on the proposal.   Email received from Planning Department to say that there had been problems with their website recently but that these had now been resolved.   21/0166 – 172 Mains Lane.  Several complaints received about this one.  The Clerk was asked to write to the Chief Planning Officer to ask what was going on with this application.  
7.Traffic and Highway Issues   County Cllr Singleton had reported the outstanding repair on Mains Lane to LCC and was assured that this would be attended to.  This was originally reported in March 2021.  Unfortunately nothing had happened regarding this as yet.  
8.New By-Pass   Fortnightly roadworks updates forwarded to the Parish Council by County Cllr Singleton.  Two meetings have been held organised by Kier, the first with residents of Singleton Hall and the second with residents of Barnfield Manor.  Minutes of the meeting with Singleton Hall had been forwarded by Cllr Singleton and Cllr Bailey had attended both meetings.  Work on drilling and piling next to Barnfield Manor will start in November.  
9.  Correspondence   Thank you letter received from John Chew who is leaving the area. The Parish Council again expressed its gratitude for Mr Chew having planted out 24 tubs in the parish for many years.  Cllr Gallagher had heard from the Chairperson of a local horticultural society who would be willing to take over and look after the tubs in the future.   The general state of a lot of the wooden tubs was a concern and it may be that many of these would need to be replaced.Thank you letter from the North West Ambulance Service for the donation of £100 after the recent defibrillator training.Thank you card received in regard to flowers sent for bereavement.Information noted about Remembrance Services being held in St. Annes. Lytham and Kirkham.Email received from Fylde BC that they were consulting with LCC regarding the location of the 15 trees the Parish Council had requested, which were next to the highway.  
10.Update from Fylde Borough Council   Capital bids for next year’s grants need to be in by 26 November.  The Parish Council had wondered whether it could bid for a village green.  A meeting with the Trust will be arranged to try and find a way forward.  
11.  Singleton Children’s Play Park charges   Email received from Fylde BC regarding the charges for maintaining the Children’s Playground for 2022/23. These will increase from £3,567.76 to £3,739.01.  The Clerk had asked their representative for an update on the requested repairs to the play equipment and had been informed that the junior climber has been fully repaired and a new top and ramp board has been replaced and new steps on the board have been installed to the toddler climber. New laminated boards will be installed when required.  The wooden steps have been removed and made safe and these will be replaced as soon as they have the appropriate play timbers, which unfortunately are in short supply at the moment because they are imported from Sweden.  These are on order.  
12.  Singleton Fire Station   Cllr Lee was happy to report that work had started by Electricity North West to repair the Fire Station and the front door had been replaced.  More work is to be done yet but it is already looking much smarter.  
13.Accounts and Invoices to Pay   The External Auditor had submitted his report, which has been put on the website.  The Auditor reported that the information contain in the Annual Governance and Accountability Return was in accordance with Proper Practices and no other matters have come to their attention giving cause for concern that relevant legislation and regulatory requirements have not been met.  The External Auditor did comment however that the period for the exercise of public rights was one week later than they would have liked.  This was because of annual leave of the Clerk when she was not available for the first week of July.   John Chew – Planting of tubs for autumn/winter – £240.00 Proposed Cllr Lee, Seconded Cllr Gallagher.  Agreed.Clerk, Salary and expenses – £294.10.  Proposed Cllr Lee, Seconded Cllr Ibbotson. Agreed.  
14.Any Other Business   Gala Committee are to put on a Christmas function on Sunday 12 December, from 12 noon – 4.00pm..Christmas card – It was decided to have another competition for a child of the parish to design this year’s card.  Cllr Ibbotson will put this in the next newsletter.Fly-tipping down Pool Foot Lane reported to Fylde BC.Unauthorised sign at Windy Harbour reported to Fylde BC.  
15Date and Time of next meeting – Tuesday 16 November 2021, 7.15pm. Village Hall.   As there was no further business, the meeting closed at 8.15pm.  

Signed …………………………………………… Dated ………………………………………

Verena Henderson

Clerk to the Parish Council

Tel: 01995 670455