NEW chairman of Singleton Parish Council is local businessman Cllr Bob Gallagher, of Pool Foot Lane. He was elected at the Annual Parish Meeting, held before the council’s monthly meeting, on Thursday, 13th May 2009 in Singleton Village Hall. Elected vice-chairman was Cllr SallyAnne Davies-Ward.
Retiring chairman Cllr Clive Barnden thanked the other councillors for their considerable efforts and achievements during the year, especially as so many projects had been completed or were on course for completion. He included:
- – Reducing our precept for the year by 11 percent!
- – The forthcoming closure of Lodge Lane layby;
- – The excellent tarmacing of the driveway to the village hall car-park;
- – Sharing a randomly deployed SPid with Weeton and Staining parish councils;
- – Collating and (shortly) issuing the Singleton Parish Plan;
- – Forging closer links with Singleton Trust as well as local police;
- – Providing a Christmas tree and lights from our own resources;
- – Progressing the improvements to Puzzle Wood;
- – Launching a garden competition to help commemorate the church’s 150th celebrations;
- – Sourcing flower tubs around the parish;
- – Sourcing grit tubs (for next winter) with local support and donations;
- – Many donations and support for local groups, including the flower festival planned for the church’s 150th.
THE COUNCIL is hoping that the new headteacher at Singleton Primary School will be interested in working with the parish council for our common good.
The council was particularly interested to see plans for the school’s proposed sports hall, and is asking for details of the access and car-parking to be used during construction work and also afterwards, when the hall is in use.
COUNCILLORS are distributing flyers about its ‘Singleton in Bloom’ competition, to be judged during the church’s 150th anniversary celebrations.
Thanks to our matching of Singleton Trust’s £300 donation, there are now eight categories, with three prizes in each, making a grand total of 24 prizes – dramatically increasing the chances of a win!
(Parish councillors are excluded from the competition.)